Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: I don't want to be a naked chef! Where to find uniforms?  (Read 10608 times)

Offline DrakeS

• Alumni
    • IntoMyMouth
I don't want to be a naked chef! Where to find uniforms?
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:26:44 AM »
I start the chef program in April.  I am very excited and I have nothing to wear!

Does anyone have any recommended uniform stores in the SF Bay Area OR great websites to order from that have quality uniforms at a good price?  I'm a little hesitant to order online and would prefer to try on the clothes first. 

AND I have to say, I do NOT look good in hats or baseball caps.  I have short hair - suggestions?
Drake Cameron
IntoMyMouth.com

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: I don't want to be a naked chef! Where to find uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:02:15 PM »
Hi Drake,

When you received your enrollment contract by email, you should have received a link in that email to a pdf which contained information about some online chef clothing sources.  Perhaps you can find that email?  If not, call the office to ask Lori for the link.  I am at home today, so I don't have it.

But, you really don't have to worry about this before class begins, as the teachers will be covering all of this on the first day of class (and you can discuss your hair question then - FYI, bandanas may work for you).  Since you are not in the kitchen for at least the first week, you will have time after the first class to get your "outfit" together.

Hope this helps!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline DrakeS

• Alumni
    • IntoMyMouth
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 12:36:50 PM »
Oh thanks, I must have missed that in the email.  I'll go back and check.  And it's a relief to know that I don't have to be decked out on the first day! 

Drake Cameron
IntoMyMouth.com

Offline Jesse Miner

• Alumni
    • Jesse Miner - Vegan Personal Chef
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »
I bet there is a similar place over in the East Bay, but if you want to venture into San Francisco, I definitely recommend Economy Restaurant Fixtures - here's a sample of what they carry.. I have bought several chef jackets there. I am pretty sure they offer a discount for students.

Also, if you want something a bit nicer and also pricier, try Cayson Designs.

Hope that helps. I too was daunted at the prospect of ordering chef clothing online.

Jesse
Jesse Miner
Vegan Personal Chef
San Francisco, CA
jesse@chefjesseminer.com
www.chefjesseminer.com
650-274-8089

Offline DrakeS

• Alumni
    • IntoMyMouth
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:43:50 PM »
Thanks Jesse,

I was going to check out Butler's in SF though I'm not sure if they have anything other than cop uniforms!  I'll definitely check out these other two places.  Any recommendation on style?  Are pockets important or not so much?

Thanks again,
Drake
Drake Cameron
IntoMyMouth.com

Offline Jesse Miner

• Alumni
    • Jesse Miner - Vegan Personal Chef
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:21:34 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy cooking lately and have not had the chance to read the boards lately.

I have several jackets in this style, both in white and black. I bought them at the store for about $25/jacket, and they apparently are even less expensive online. While in school, I rotated between two gorgeous more-expensive 100% cotton jackets that I bought from Cayson - be aware of the amount of ironing you will need to do though to keep them looking sharp!

Jesse
Jesse Miner
Vegan Personal Chef
San Francisco, CA
jesse@chefjesseminer.com
www.chefjesseminer.com
650-274-8089

Offline Nicole Marelich

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 03:50:44 PM »
Hi Drake,

I purchase my chef jackets from chefwear.com.  I like their five-star lightweight full-sleeve style jacket, they're about fifty bucks, but washes and wears well.

I think the most important pocket to make sure you have is the upper sleeve/spoon pocket.

Chow!
Nikki
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:53:58 PM by NikkiM »

Offline DrakeS

• Alumni
    • IntoMyMouth
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »
Thanks again Jesse and Nikki,
It really helps to have some input.  Upper sleeve pocket, got it.  And Iron (or neighborhood cleaners!ha!)

I went to East Bay Restuarant Supply, don't bother, they had a very minimal selection and mostly XXL sizes.

Had much better luck in SF at Economy like you suggested Jesse.  Size matters and I had to try on a lot of things to find ones that fit.  I could not find 100% cotton that fit  :'(  but maybe they will get some in.  I called Cayman and they said they do not have a retail store?! 

thanks again for the support!
Drake
Drake Cameron
IntoMyMouth.com