Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: anti-inflammation and food sensitivities  (Read 1984 times)

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
anti-inflammation and food sensitivities
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:35:18 AM »
My naturopath wants me to go on an anti-inflammation diet, which would exclude:
Wheat, dairy, tomatoes, potatoes, corn products, citrus, and several other foods I can't recall at the moment.  She said eggs would be okay, but eggs and dairy both turned up on a food sensitivity test from a year or two ago.  Trying to avoid all foods with any of these items is really daunting, and I would love to hear from anyone who has tried to tackle this.

Also, If none of these other items showed up on a food sensitivity test, is it really necessary to exclude them?  Only dairy and eggs showed up on the test (casein specifically rather than lactose), so I am not sure about how many of the others are a real problem.  And why she thinks it's okay to still eat the eggs, I don't know.

Does anyone know if raw milk is still a problem for people who are sensitive to casein?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a good grip on food sensitivities...since this is all really confusing.

Thanks  :)

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: anti-inflammation and food sensitivities
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:43:12 AM »
Elimination diets can be very daunting at the onset, however they are the only way to truly test your body's reaction to suspected foods.  Believe it or not, lots of times this stuff will not show up on tests and elimination and introduction is the only way to truly get a read on it.  I encourage you to undertake the challenge, I have known many people who have done so, and when you find the culprit foods it will be all worth it, as being able to eliminate draining symptoms is the goal.  Most people really key into how wonderful they can feel again, but you have to cut through the static to get there.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline EmilyA

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »
I did a gentle detox/ allergy elimination diet, as described by Elizabeth Lipski in Digestive Wellness, and it was very similar, minus the addition of eggs your Naturopath allows and I also eliminated fish.  For me, as is so often the case with eating well, I found that planning was key. I would spend some of my Sunday preparing a big pot of rice, and washing and chopping veggies, and greens.  I also would roast whole trays of veggies, squashes, root veggies, cabbage, whatever I could find. A big pot of soup was also helpful to have on hand. Then, as the week began, I would be able to throw together simple meals easily---stir fried veggies over rice, stew over quinoa etc.  Very simple, but satisfying. You'll pretty much have to give up eating out, for the most part. When I couldn't avoid it, I made sure to have a decent snack before hand, so that if everything available turned out to be prohibited by the diet, then I could pass up on it with out starving.   It was also helpful, that soon after I began, as in 3 days, I could feel that my skin was improving and that I felt much better--so the inconvenience became clearly worth it.  Hope this helps!!

Offline NatashaLL

• Alumni
  • BA Economics
    • Little Field of Greens
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »
I too spend Sundays doing my grocery shopping and cooking. Basically here is my routine (which feeds my husband and I):
Grocery List

A couple of the following Veggies:
Red leaf lettuce, romaine and/or spinach
Zucchini
Brussel sprouts (fabulous roasted at 375 for 40 min with olive oil, salt and pepper)
Carrots
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Swiss Chard
Cabbage (napa or regular and/or red)
Bell Pepper
celery
Always have onion and garlic
(I also do tomatoes and eggplant usually, but you will want to abstain from those for this elimination diet)

Fruit:
3 types that are on sale

1 or 2 Starch:
Sweet potato
Rice crackers
wild or brown rice
quinoa
lentils (I personally like red)

Spice/Seasoning:
rosemary
basil
Chives
Lemon and lime
parsley
cilantro

Protein (adjust based on your elimination guidelines):
1 lb lean ground turkey
2-4 chicken breast
eggs

To put it all together I basically do the following:
Cook the rice or bake the sweet potato, quinoa etc (lentils cooked with sauteed onions and your favorite spices like paprika is really tasty)
Marinate the chicken in olive oil, salt and pepper and grill for 6 min on each side
saute olive oil and onion in a pan and brown the turkey. at the end toss in chili powder, cumin and cayenne.
Steam, roast or saute any of the vegetables. Cut up any vegetables you prefer to eat raw.

I put each cooked item in a glass storage container in the refrigerator. Then the night before or the morning of each day, I take 1/2 cup of each starch, 1/2 cup of each protein and about 3 servings of vegetables (2 cups salad, and 1/2 cup sauteed zucchini for example) as my lunch. I pack a baggie of raw vegetables to go with a couple of rice crackers as an afternoon snack. A morning snack is usually yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit for me, but I rotate that with fruit and almonds which might be a good idea for you. Dinner is usually something similar to lunch, except I switch up the vegetables and every other night do a starch. Breakfast I usually do eggs, but you could do a rice milk smoothie with fruit. I rely on infused oils, and chopped up spices to make my food more interesting.

As for the raw milk part of the question. I myself had an intolerance to casein for 8 years. The last year of the 8 years I developed problems to avocado and soy too. I discovered the "Body Ecology Diet" book by Donna Gates and through probiotics, digestive enzymes, raw cultured vegetables, aloe and sea vegetable supplements and better food combining, my system can now handle dairy and all other foods. The only exception being milk, even raw milk. I don't get the bent over pain I used to have, but I don't respond to well to it. As mentioned above it might be worth a try to introduce it when you feel ready to do so, but my response to this is that it is still milk, it still has the milk protein in it, and there are some people who just can't handle straight milk.

Hope this helps. If you need other recipe ideas please feel free to email me at natasha.loeffler.little@gmail.com. I spent years figuring out how to eliminate dairy from recipes, and my mother in law is a celiac so as a family we strive to make tasty but allergen free food as much as possible.

anything