Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: need cleansing recipes  (Read 3599 times)

Offline CrystalC

• Alumni
need cleansing recipes
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »
Hi. I am just getting started with NC.  I thought I would ask folks to share some healthy, cleansing recipes to help complete my module 1 meal plan homework. The recipes would preferably be cleansing, liver friendly recipes. I am sure I can come up with some on my own, but it is seven days worth of meals.  Thanks for sharing!  ;D

Offline Cathy Crystal

• Academic Supervisor, DL Administrator
  • Faculty
  • Herbalist, Yoga Instructor, Organic Farmer, Dancer
Re: need cleansing recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:49:32 PM »
Hi Crystal
Don't forget that your recipes need to be specific for a specific liver condition and season. You are also to focus on specific nutrients. The assignmnet is to design a 7 day meal plan, but you only need to turn in 5 recipes. Check out Elson Haas 7 day detox for some recipes.

Cathy

Offline CrystalC

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »
Thank you, Cathy! That was a good reminder.

Crystal

Offline KimW

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Hi Crystal,

I am not sure if this will meet your specific needs, but I wanted to share this delicious recipe from the book "Integrative Nutrition" by Joshua Rosenthal.  (New York, Integrative Nutrition Publishing, 2008)  I've found it to be a great quick, easy and very satisfying light meal. 

Enjoy,
Kim

Oh So Delicious Green Cleanser

This dish has got all of the five tastes: sweet, sour, bitter, salty and pungent.  It can be helpful in bringing balance to the system after a period of not so healthy eating.

Prep Time:  8 minutes
Cooking Time:  5 minutes
Serves 4

1 bunch lacinato kale
1/2 medium daikon
1 T tamari
1 t toasted sesame oil
1 T brown rice vinegar
1 T agave nectar
1 T nutritional yeast flakes

-Heat a medium sized pot with 2 inches of water.
-Chop the kale into 2 inch pieces, stems can stay on.
-Chop the daikon into 1 inch chunks.
-When water boils add veggies and blanch two minutes.
-Remove to a colander, drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
-Add all other ingredients and mix well, tasting to adjust amounts to your desire.

It's also great with dulse flakes and sesame seeds and can be adapted to any variety of veggies.

Offline Kristin

• Alumni
    • Food Therapy
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 01:21:48 PM »
Hi Crystal:

Here is a yummy, easy, liver supportive soup I just served at a detox seminar I held.  It was a huge hit!  Good Luck, Kristin

* Exported from MasterCook *

Easy Detox Soup with Cauliflower, Carrot, Ginger

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 12    Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    :

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1               head  cauliflower -- sliced 1" thick
  6              whole  carrots -- sliced 1/2" thick
  2              whole  onions -- chopped
  2              whole  apples -- chopped
  1         tablespoon  ginger -- minced
  6             cloves  garlic -- minced
  5        tablespoons  olive, coconut, or grapeseed oil
  12              cups  water or vegetable stock
  1         tablespoon  sea salt -- to taste
  1           teaspoon  pepper -- to taste
     1/2         whole  lemon -- juiced
  1              bunch  cilantro -- chopped

Preheat oven to 415 F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Toss cauliflower and carrots with 2 TBS oil and dash of salt and pepper.  Place on baking sheet and roast until tender and edges browned, approx. 45 minutes.

In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat.  Saute onions, apples, garlic, ginger, until soft and caramelized.  In batches, blend both veggie mixtures and water or vegetable stock until smooth.  Return to stove and simmer over low heat.  Season to taste with salt, pepper, lemon, and cilantro.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 43 Calories; trace Fat (4.6% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 487mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Kristin Hoppe, BS, NC
Certified Nutrition Consultant & Natural Chef
www.foodtherapysf.com

Offline VeraO

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »
Crystal,

I am a Natural Chef student in Penngrove. 

How about a cilantro pesto?  Or any pesto made with herbs like parsley or mint?  Or a salsa with lots of bell peppers, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes (I guess fresh tomatoes are not seasonal, but are we allowed to consider last season's canned tomatoes seasonal?).  Also, you could include a fresh pea soup or pasta prima vera with asparagus and nutritional yeast.  I think the possibilities are endless, but I don't know what the liver condition is that you need to address.  What about a fruit smoothie or a fresh vegetable juice (eg, V-8)?  Or greens (eg. collard) sauted lightly with added currants, cranberries or other dried fruit?  Maybe taboule?  Or mushroom soup with carmelized onions and sauteed dried mushrooms as a base?  I hope this helps.  Vera.       

Offline CrystalC

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »
Wow!  :D These are great! Thank you everyone, very powerful stuff. I will definitely try to use these in my meal plan.

anything