Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: help with chilis  (Read 2259 times)

Offline ZaraR

• Alumni
help with chilis
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »
Hi there,
Does anyone has the tips o knowledge how to reduce hotness of chili or (scoville heat units), since the food is prepared already. Another day I cook Peruvian dish rice with sea food, I used a Peruvian red chili, also called aji limo or red chili Habanero, it was used only half of chili for 3 cup of brown rice plus other ingredients. It was to hot to my family, so I add extra rice and vegetables, but did not work.
Please let know if your have tips on this.
 I will appreciate any ideas.
Zara

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
Re: help with chilis
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:34:57 AM »
You could always reach for some Pepto-Bismol! (kidding!)

The heat from Chilli's is transmitted by their oils. Which is why it is such a long lasting heat, the oils absorb into your skin and mucus membranes. And why washing it away with water and other liquids never helps.

The best way flush away and reduce the heat of the oils of chilies is with other oils that are cooling. Such as butter oil, coconut oil, olive oil, etc...Try adding cool Coconut milk, or yogurt, or sour cream along with diluting the recipe with more foods.

If you serve a cool topping or cold drink of the above items with your overspiced meal, it will help to balance out the heat.

One of my favorite heat balancers is a cool mango yogurt smoothie called a lassie. Its an Indian drink and it is usually served sweet, but another version is plan and salty (equally satisfying)

Here is a basic recipe:

Mango Lassie:

16 oz yogurt
2 cups mangos, cubed (frozen works best)
3 T honey
2 T rose water
2 cups ice

Combine all ingredients in a blender and process till smooth.

Whats good about eating hot foods is that the next time you eat similarly hot foods you will be able to tolerate it more, I think you can build up a tolerance. The key to adding heat in cooking is to make it hot enough to experience the heat while still allowing you to enjoy the other flavors. Go for a Balanced approach.

Have fun with flavors, spices and chilies, they have some amazing health properties!
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline ZaraR

• Alumni
Re: help with chilis
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »
Thanks blujay,
It is good idea, if happens next time, I hope won't happen again, not to  hot for my family. we read that to hot chili it does not do any good to guys! But personally I love chilis.
thanks for the recipe I will try it.
ZaraR