Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Gluten-free brownies?  (Read 11910 times)

Offline JennaG

• Alumni
Gluten-free brownies?
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:05:04 PM »
I admit it, my #1 weakness is brownies.  Having gone gluten-free (not by choice) I find myself with intense cravings for brownies and the gluten-free chocolate cookies just don't cut it.  I would love it if any one could share a recipe with me and any one else with this same weakness :)  Thanks!

Offline Catherine McConkie

• Former Bauman College Faculty Member
Re: Gluten-free brownies?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
I haven't tried this recipe yet. It was offered by another poster awhile back and I was considering it for my GF parent child baking class. I'm a brownie lover too! If you try it, let me know how it turns out. Catherine

Black Bean Brownies

By Cathe Olson Author of Simply Natural Baby Food available at www.simplynaturalbooks.com
Moderator of Mothering's Good Eating! Discussion Forum

I cannot take credit for the idea of using black beans in brownies. The original recipe was from "The Brilliant Bean" by Sally and Martin Stone. However, I have modified it to use half the amount of butter, maple syrup for sugar, and grain coffee substitute instead of real coffee. Even with these changes, this is a rich, moist, fudgy brownie that is sure to satisfy your chocolate craving. Best of all, you can feel good that you are getting lots of calcium and protein from the beans and eggs. There is no flour in this recipe either for those on a low-carb or gluten-free diet.
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
4 eggs
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups or 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, pureed
2 1/2 tablespoons instant grain coffee substitute (like Cafix or Inka)
1 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds, or other nut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil or butter an 8-inch baking pan. Melt chocolate and butter or oil together in small saucepan. In mixing bowl, beat eggs and maple syrup together. Add melted chocolate mixture and beat well. Beat in bean puree and coffee substitute. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until set. If you press your finger in the middle, it should make a little dent. Don't overbake. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares.

Yield: 16

Note: Puree beans in food processor or blender. If using food processor, chop nuts first and set them aside. Then puree beans. That way, you only have to wash the food processor once.

Offline EricP

• Alumni
  • Food is an intimate message.
    • my filmmaking website
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 12:48:33 AM »
I made these for a French pastry chef and he was so wowed, he asked me for the recipe.  It's close to the one already posted.  I would imagine you could cut the agave down to 1 cup, but I followed the recipe exactly (though I used a little decaf ground espresso beans) and they were real GOOOOD.  They're kind of delicate/messy, so the directions to refrigerate before cutting are good.  101 Cookbooks is a wonderful food blog. Have fun!

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/amazing-black-bean-brownies-recipe.html

Offline KrissaB

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »
Trader Joe's has a gluten-free brownie mix.  I haven't had it yet, but it might be worth a try.  Doing a google search for a gluten-free recipe might also be helpful.  There are a lot of gluten-free blogs out there with many different yummy desserts.  Enjoy!

Offline EmmaS

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
I've tried the trader joes mix and it is SO good!  Try making it and adding some grain sweetened chocolate chips....YUM!

Offline LauraS

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 12:56:50 PM »
I am very interested in trying the bean brownie combination and I am a fan of Cathe's recipes!  We use her cashew yogurt recipe, and quite enjoy it!  Thanks for posting that! 

I have a gluten free brownie recipe that is free of many common allergens.  It bakes well in a 9 inch pie dish, or a shallow cooking pan/dish (better thinner, not a good thick brownie).  I look for the edges to brown and I allow the middle to look underdone.  As it cools, it sets to a fudgy moist brownie.

Keep in  mind that it can be touchy with the quantity of honey.  Sometimes it is perfect, other times it's gooey in the middle, but I don't mind that at all, especially when it's cold!

1/2 C melted butter sub (so you could use ghee, palm shortening, unrefined coconut oil or whatever you use )
1tsp vanilla (optional, but if you use it, use pure)
1/3 C cocoa (or carob powder would work, but I prefer cocoa for flavor)
3/4-1 C all purpose gluten free flour blend (so you could use 1/2 C rice, 1/8 tapioca, 1/8 C nut flour, each slightly rounded )
1/2 tsp baking powder (feather-lite brand)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C honey
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  A 9" pan works well (large pie pan, something slightly larger than an 8x8 or an 8x8 if that's what you have) cook for 25-30 minutes, but really you just need to watch them.  They may take longer depending on the oven and pan (and honey!)
Just don't burn the edges! LOL

Enjoy :)

Offline jkuenker

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:34:22 AM »
This was just posted on the Daily Green Website and I thought of you.  I don't like to bake so good luck. I do like the author of the recipe.  I follow her stuff on a regular basis and know that she is to be trusted with a good turnout for a recipe.  You can check out her blog at glutenfreegirl.com. 

Julie

Gluten-Free Brownies
If you like a fudgy brownie, unadorned with any fillers, this recipe is for you.
July 20, 2008 at 9:27AM by Shauna James Ahern | comment

Buzz up!
These brownies are adapted from one of the best brownie recipes in the world. That is, if you like a fudgy brownie, unadorned with any fillers. These have a crackly top, with a discernible texture as your teeth bite down. And beneath them? Pure, smooth chocolate, as rich as flourless chocolate torte.

These are rich, and only to be indulged in once in a while. (In fact, when I made the one-year anniversary dinner for the Chef and me, I made these brownies instead of flourless chocolate torte. He didn't mind.)

I'm pretty sure that many combinations of gluten-free flours would work here. I tried sorghum first, and it's probably my favorite. But some people complain that sorghum tastes bitter not to me so I used brown rice next time. Just fine. Try the flours you have at hand. This doesn't need to be complicated. They are brownies.

Shauna James Ahern

SERVINGS
12 (if people have the restraint to not eat more than one brownie)

INGREDIENTS
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (or as dark as you can stand it)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour

PREPARATION
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Chop the chocolate into small slivers. Slice the butter into one-inch pieces. Combine the two flours together.

2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, and then turn it down to a simmer. Place a large metal bowl over the top of the saucepan. Put the chocolate and butter into the metal bowl and stir, occasionally, as they both begin to melt. As they come to a full melt, stir and stir, vigorously, until you have a cohesive mixture.

3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sugar and eggs, whisking vigorously until they are creamed together, with a silky consistency. Add the vanilla extract and salt and stir well. Add in the gluten-free flours and stir. Finally, pour in the melted chocolate-butter mixture and stir, carefully, with a rubber spatula, until the mixture has become smooth.

4. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Smooth the top with the spatula. Slide the baking pan into the oven and set the timer for 25 minutes.

As the brownies are baking, fill the sink with ice cubes and 1 inch of water. When the brownies are finished baking, remove the pan from the oven and place it immediately into the ice-water bath. (Don't let any water splash up onto the brownies!) Let the brownies stay there until they have cooled completely.

These brownies taste best the next day, after an entire night of refrigeration. That makes the top crunchy, the insides decadently chewy. However, I'm sure no one would suffer if you ate the brownies immediately, either.

Offline VanessaF

• Alumni
    • Conscious Path, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 10:38:34 PM »
I made the black bean brownies and they were delicious. I found they tasted better after being cooled  in fridge overnight.   Who would have thought black beans could make such a delicious tasting dessert!!!!!
Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
VanessaF

Offline HeidiB

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:49 PM »
trader joes has a wonderful gluten free brownie mix. all you need to add is just 1 2 3 ingredents
keep it real.

Offline LisaL

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 09:35:13 AM »
I made the black bean brownies this weekend, and they were truly amazing!  I still can't believe how the beans thicken up the batter so nicely and there is virtually no bean taste at all.  I would caution anyone who makes these to bake them for LESS time than noted on the original recipe.  It said 40-45 minutes - I checked mine after 35 minutes and they were already a couple minutes overdone.  The ones I served from the very center of the pan were heaven, though!

Offline ErinL

• Faculty
    • Food As Nourishment Holistic Health Counseling
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 01:09:46 PM »
I, too, made the Black Bean Brownies and they were awesome! I had compliments from wheat-eating brownie fiends, so I know they're good. I agree with other comments that mine were done in 35 minutes. I made a smaller pan and turned some of the batter into muffins too.
Thank you! and I know all my gluten-free clients will thank you too.
Erin Livers, Nutrition Therapist
Food As Nourishment Holistic Health Counseling
BC Faculty/Distance Learning Faculty, Boulder, CO (past)

Offline KelliG

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »
Have you been to the Mariposa Cafe in Oakland?
Everything she makes is gluten-free... including delicious brownies!

http://www.mariposabaking.com/
http://www.mariposabaking.com/products/brownies/brownies_main.html

Offline AmyGr

• Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »
I did a gluten-free diet for a while and I can relate.  As soon as you know you can't have something, you want it more!  I don't have a brownie recipe, but I have a fantastic gluten-free flourless molten chocolate cake recipe.  It's super easy to make and very simple.  This is from Health Magazine.

4 large eggs
1/2 pound (8 oz) semi-sweet chocolate (although I usually use 70% cacao instead)
2 oz (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (I bet you can substitute canola for part of this)
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Place saucepan of water on high heat.  Heat to a boil, then reduce to simmer
3.  In mixing bowl, crack eggs and warm them over simmering water for 1 minute (hold bowl directly over the water, using a dish towel to protect your hands), whisking constantly.
4.  Remove eggs from heat, and whisk for another minute until eggs are very fluffy.  Meanwhile, put the chocolate and butter in a large, heatproof stainless-steel or tempered-glass bowl; set it over the simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the bowl.  Let the chocolate and butter melt; remove from heat.  Let mixture cool slightly by stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
5.  Once slightly cooled, fold the chocolate and butter into the whipped eggs until no more streaks show.  Batter will deflate.
6.  Spray 6 (4-ounce) ramekins or ovenproof dessert cups with nonstick cooking spray (or use foil cups or even muffin tins).  Fill them 3/4 of the way full and place on a baking sheet.
7.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on how gooey you'd like the centers.  Turn the cakes out onto dessert plates, and serve immediately with a sprinkle of powdered sugar if you like.

Makes 6 servings.

Offline TheresaL

• Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 01:35:33 PM »
I don't drink any type of coffee and am not very familiar with it.  I was wondering what instant grain coffee substitute is and if I could possibly substitute something else for the black bean brownie recipe?!?  ??? I would love to try the recipe but am clueless!! If anyone has any suggestion I would appreciate it, thank you.

Offline ClaireW

• Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »
Thanks Catherine for posting the black bean brownie receipe. I tried it last night for my new year's eve dinner and it was fantastic! My friend and I could not believe it is made from black beans instead of flour. There is absolutely no bean flavor and the texture and flavor are just absolutly superb, non less than the ones I used to get from the bakery at work who makes some of the best tasting desserts in this area. I agree with the couple people's posting about maybe cooking less than 40 minutes if you want it to be more moist inside. I baked for 40 minutes, although it was not dry and still tasted great but I think I can probably just bake it for 30 minutes in order to have the "chocolate lava" oozing out when taking your bites. (Yum!!) I used ghee instead of butter for only about 1/3 C instead of 1/2 and it still turned out as great and creamy. This is great receipe for those who cannot tolerate wheat/gluten and who are watching their carbs intake as the glycemic load of baked black beans is relatively low compared to other wheat or rice alternatives.

And as one of the posting stated, if you put it in the fridge over night, it is more formed and tastes great too! I had this as breakfast today for an occasional indugence!

I would definitely use this receipe again to treat myself and entertain. Thanks!

Claire

anything