Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: A Tasty Breakfast Smoothie w/o the Sugar rush/crash!  (Read 3334 times)

Offline AlexisM

• Alumni
A Tasty Breakfast Smoothie w/o the Sugar rush/crash!
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
I really dig the idea of having a smoothie for breakfast. It is a gentle way to get your digestive system going while giving your mind and body nourishment and an un-compromised blood flow (otherwise used digesting a heavy/sugary breakfast) to take on the day.

When first diving into the smoothie-for-breakfast 'plan' I used a lot of fruit - about 1 to 1 1/2 cups. Although I added a cup of frozen spinach, these delicious smoothies tasted more like desert than a breakfast - who doesn't like desert first!? I noticed they satisfied, but seemingly gave me a sugar rush and subsequent crash leaving me craving for lunch not too long after.

After a little research and brainstorming I came up with a smoothie that is mildly sweet, lacking fruit, and containing healthy fats and proteins. It pairs veggies with protein and healthy fats to allow for a slower digestion rather than what would otherwise be hastened by accompanied sugar consumption. It gives me the nourishment I need with out the rush/crash.

I now start my morning with water, tea and a banana to give my system a gentle boost into action. About 45 minutes to a hour later I enjoy this smoothie. Thus I have started up my systems with out overburdening them with too many sugars or fats! This makes for a nice and easy, stress-free start. I hope you give it a go and enjoy the benefits!

2 stalks celery - roughly chopped
1 cup frozen spinach
1/4 cup Low-fat Vanilla Almond Milk
1/3 cup filtered water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons raw vanilla brown rice protein
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon star anise
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon

combine and blend all ingredience togethre in a blender. Pour into a cup that leaves ample room at top.
Top with probiotic powder, 2 tablespoons shredded coconut and 2 tablespoons fresh ground flax seed.

Enjoy!

Yours in Health!

anything