Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Almond pulp  (Read 18003 times)

Offline BiancaW

• Alumni
Almond pulp
« on: November 02, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »
Hello,

I recently started making my own almond milk, using almonds, dates, vanilla and water. It is so delicious!!! I can't wait to start experimenting with other nuts, soy beans and rice. But the problem is all the nut pulp, (humm is pulp the right word...) that is left over. I have made cookies, (they came out very dense) and I am thinking about pie crusts. I do not want to just compost it, there must be something it can be used for... If anyone has ideas for how I can use it, I would appreciated the suggestions! =)
Thanks,
Bianca

Offline AlexisM

• Alumni
Re: Almond pulp
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »
You could use the pulp in a meat-, tofu-, or bean-loaf...
Could use as a thickener in a soup, stew, gravy, lentils, or mashed vegetables...
Add to a smoothie or vegetable juice...

Hope that helps!
Yours in Health!

Offline AlexandraL

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:39:15 PM »
Homemade almond milk is the best! I've been making it for quite sometime now and I'm ready to start experimenting with other nuts too.

Regarding the "pulp", I typically spread it out evenly on a cookie sheet and place it in a 275 -300 degree oven. This removes the moisture so that it's more like almond meal. You have to really watch it though to make sure it doesn't get too toasted - unless you want it toasted. I sprinkle this on yogurt with protein powder and berries or over oatmeal, sprinkle over a smoothie and even salads.

I store it in the refriderator if I know I'm going to use some within a few days or in the freezer for longer storage.

Have fun!

Alexandra

Hello,

I recently started making my own almond milk, using almonds, dates, vanilla and water. It is so delicious!!! I can't wait to start experimenting with other nuts, soy beans and rice. But the problem is all the nut pulp, (humm is pulp the right word...) that is left over. I have made cookies, (they came out very dense) and I am thinking about pie crusts. I do not want to just compost it, there must be something it can be used for... If anyone has ideas for how I can use it, I would appreciated the suggestions! =)
Thanks,
Bianca

Offline KatieR

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »
I like to mix it with honey on some toast.
Katie R.

Offline BiancaW

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36:31 AM »
Wow what great ideas! Thanks. :) They all sound awesome. It sounds like it can be used in just about anything. I will be experimenting with it!!

Offline AlexisM

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 04:37:52 PM »
Casein and Gluten Free Almond Pulp Pancakes

Recipe #333456 | 30 min | 10 min prep | add private note
(0) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe
By: SWalker
Oct 28, 2008
I always have baggies with 3/4 of a cup of almond pulp in my freezer, the leftovers of 1/2 cup of almonds used to make 2 cups of almond milk. This recipe nicely uses one of those bags. If you aren't casein intolerant the recipe is great with 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk.If you don't have almond pulp then you can use 1 1/4 cups of almond milk, rice milk or water and use ground almonds instead of the white rice flour. This recipe makes a fairly large batch because I like having them in the freezer, they toast very well for quick or on the go breakfasts.
SERVES 8 -10 (change servings and units)
Ingredients
1 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup gluten-free oats, ground
1/3 cup rice flour
2/3 cup arrowroot (or another starch)
1/3 cup tapioca starch
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon guar gum
4 eggs, seperated
6 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use coconut)
ground almonds, and
water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions
1Whisk dry ingredients together well.
2Place almond pulp in a two cup measuring cup and fill with enough water to equal 1 3/4 cups.
3In a blender, blend water and almond paste until they look white
4Add egg yolks, oil and vanilla. Blend to incorporate.
5Add to dry ingredients, mixing well until no lumps remain.
6Beat egg whites in a seperate bowl to soft peaks.
7Fold into the batter carefully in three batches to lighten.
8Cook on a preheated pan or griddle.
9These pancakes take a little longer to cook due to the whole grains.
Yours in Health!

Offline Linnea

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »
Here's another suggestion:

From Robyn Boyds Rawsome recipes

Raw Almond Joy Balls

1.  In food processor, mix almond pulp with
1/2 to 3/4 cup raw almond butter
pulp from almond milk
1/2 cup raisins or currants
5 pitted dates soaked for 30 mins
1-3 T. honey, agave or maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

2. Roll dough into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls.

3. Spread out some shredded coconut, some carob powder and some finely ground macadamia nuts ( or hemp seed or chia seeds or ...get creative ! )

4. Roll the balls in desired ingredient.

Enjoy !

Linnea Edwards N.E.
Essential Elements Nutrition Services
santacruznutrition@gmail.com

Offline BiancaW

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 09:05:52 PM »
Wow what delicious looking recipes!
I have not had time to make any almond milk this previous week *gasps*, so I have not had any almond milk to play with. But I will be trying all these suggestions out soon!!
Thank you all! =)

Offline MistyH

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
add it to Chris' flax cracker recipe!
Eat Well, Feel Well

Offline perib110

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
If you're lucky enough to own a dehydrator, you can dry & save as flour to use later. Especially useful if your freezer is full as mine usually is!

Offline SimoneS

• Alumni
    • Zenbelly
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
I think I just discovered my favorite thing to do with the nut milk leftovers- Grain free granola! I'm about 90% gluten free, and I also try to keep my grain intake low, but LOVE cereal as a snack and with yogurt for breakfast.

(I apologize for being awful at timing things.... )

I've been making my nut milk with about 1/2 C ea almonds and cashews, 1/2 C shredded coconut, 3T sesame seeds and 1T flax seeds.  It's delicious.

I then put the pulp in the oven at 250 until it was dry (you can forget about it for a while- it takes some time, maybe a couple hours) and then mixed it with 2T ea coconut oil and maple syrup and 1t vanilla extract.  (melted gently in a pan, mixed well)  I also added more almonds, for some interesting texture. You can put just about anything in there- it's granola!  I put it back in the oven at 325, stirring often, until it was golden brown and toasty.  I'm not sure exactly how long I left it in there, I pretty much checked it obsessively until it was done. 

I immediately had it with the nut milk I had just made, and it was fabuloso. 

Offline AmyCa

• Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
I've been using almond pulp to make all sorts of gluten-free baked goods lately, including macaroons. But it was particularly delicious in this soup. Just sub one cup of almond pulp for the "almond powder":
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2006/11/green_bean_and_almond_soup.php

(sorry, hyperlink isn't working for me.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:14:26 PM by AmyCa »

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 12:27:28 AM »
Hey Bianca!

When do you have time to play with nut milks? Back to the kitchen!...;-)

Since you have such an amazing blender, you can just blend the nut milks very thick (to get it really creamy) then add water to dilute to your milk consistency (this works well with softer/soaked nuts...Thereby saving the time to strain and process your nut solids. Unless you want to!

But I like alot of the recommendations here...I would add a few pointers.

-For a fine almond flour, dehydrate your nut pulp, freeze, then blend into a fine dust.(sift with a fine mesh strainer, for an even finer powder).

-Dehydrated/defatted nut meat powder is exactly what vegan protein powders are, so just make your own.

-I could send you a killer French-style macaroon stuffed cookie recipe if you like (using this nut pulp)

-I like to make my sprouted nuts/grains granola and then just toss that in a blender to make my milk for the granola (its already flavored/sweetened), then you can use that pulp in granola or other aplications

-Combine nut pulp with fruit/veggie pulp and binders (dried fruit/honey etc...) and flavors to make some interesting creations. This could make a raw almond carrot cake base...

Happy nut milking!

Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline Dinene

• Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
Great ideas!  Can't wait to try some of these.
I haven't done this in awhile but I used to just slather it on my face as a mask/scrub. After all there are many natural skin care products that are almond based!

Offline AmyCa

• Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:23:51 AM »
You question inspired me to do a blog post on this topic!  8)
http://sweetbeetnutrition.com/blog/?p=292