Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Options after school is done  (Read 4952 times)

Offline HeatherC

Options after school is done
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
Hello,
I am considering the NE/NC programs and have done extensive research including reading all of these posts, but still have some more questions. First off, it seems all of the administrators on here are very helpful, so thank you in advance.
My concerns are that I am not interested in getting a dietician degree since that is not a holistic focused degree, and I want something more natural/holistic. What I'm not too sure about is how legit I'm going to look once I'm done since I'm not going to be "degreed" in nutrition or a "dietician". I see that many of your graduates have gone on to do great things, so that gives me hope, but that fear is still there. I talked to my friend who is a nutritionist and she said you really don't even learn that much about nutrition and whole foods at a traditional university, and that sometimes specialty schools are better..but how to do measure up against people applying for the same jobs that have a dietetics degree?
I'm scared that since this school isn't accredited like a state college is, I would be at a disadvantage. Can you shed some light on this for me because I'm really interested in attending?!
I'd also like to know if classroom instruction is actually better overall. I've done online learning before and was fine, but I think with this type of program, classroom would be better.
Thanks so much!

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Options after school is done
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:35:43 PM »
Hi Heather,

I understand your concerns, however your friend is correct. You will not find the same sort of education at a standard college or program.  The Bauman College philosophy that centers around individualized diet plans based on organic, seasonal, local, unrefined foods is not standard curriculum. 

Our graduates do stand out in job interviews because they can present a portfolio of work, that they have completed through our homework assignments, that demonstrate a critical look at nutrient needs and which present diet and meal options based upon high quality nutritive foods.  Students learn to work step-by-step with their clients to ensure a high quality of success. 

Now that being said, there are some interviews that students are not able to get their foot in the door to demonstrate that knowledge.   This is a problem with the current system of recognition, and one that NANP (National Association of Nutrition Professionals) is working to improve with their Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board.

I know that hospital jobs are reserved for Registered Dietitians, so if you would like to work in a hospital, becoming an RD is your best bet, for now.  But in the private sector, your opportunities open up.

In regards to classroom or DL: if you are in the vicinity of a classroom, it is a great way to develop a group of local peers and the consistency of the classes helps to keep you on track and moving steadily through the program.  But the DL program is excellent if you feel like you may need to move through the program at your own pace, maybe slower, or if your schedule or distance from the school does not make that an easy option.  DL is a fine option, and now with the very active forums that we have here, you will have a virtual community to support you.

Have you had a one-on-one advising appointment yet?  This can be very helpful. You can call to schedule one at your convenience: 800-987-7530.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »
Marlina,
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I have scheduled an advising appointment for tomorrow and look forward to talking with her!

Heather

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 08:59:51 AM »
Hi Heather,

I'd like to pass on my experience to you because I too have had some fears about finding job opportunities. You can tell from this post that I'm now a Bauman faculty member, but that's a more recent occurrence. Prior to that I've had (still have) a private practice in a small town, in an area that is decidedly NOT holistic. Nevertheless, what I've found is that there are many, many people who have exhausted their medical options--or who are just exhausted from negotiating the medical labyrinth--and who read enough to know that nutrition offers good options. These are most often people with chronic conditions, so the NC education has been priceless. There are a few doctors around me that are open to what I do, so I have a small referral network, and I get a lot of my clients via referrals. I see people privately, I do public talks, and I do workshops with my Yoga teacher/friend on specific topics ("Stress" is very popular). I'm also beginning to do small cooking demos in my own kitchen and serving the food. A couple of people who come don't want the cooking info, they just want the food, so I guess I'm the new "restaurant" in town. (I didn't do the Chef course, I'm just a pretty good, intuitive cook). I've also done things like cleaned out clients' cabinets and taken them on tours through the grocery store, showing them good versus undesirable products.

I just also passed up an opportunity to work in a medical office, as it wasn't really what I was looking for. But it's good to know that it's an option. There are medical offices that are willing to do 'creative bookkeeping', so they can charge insurance for an office visit in order to have patients see the nutritionist. And many doctors DO understand the difference between dieticians and what we do.

I think the main thing a standard education will provide for you is the ability to get a job immediately after finishing your education, because, yes, that mainstream degree means something to most people. But really, those aren't the people you want to work for, as you've mentioned. Swimming against the tide is something I've given up completely especially since, though it takes more time to find, there are plenty of people who will love you for who you are and what you have to offer. It has definitely taken me awhile to get established, but I am, and there are now people who credit me with having saved their lives. That's a great feeling (and it's good for business).

I would suggest that you make sure to have some basic science under your belt--some chemistry and biology. Even if you can't take classes, be sure to do some reading. This will mostly aid your understanding of some of the subject matter, but when you understand the basic workings of the body and its chemistry, that can serve as more assurance to health care professionals you might want to work with that you're solidly educated. Sondra Barrett is teaching a Biochem class through Bauman, and if you're in the area and can attend, it would be a great class. Hopefully it will also be available soon for distance students.

Being an off-the-grid practitioner, as I call it, requires more creativity. I've found it relatively easy to put together public talks on topics that draw people in. Most of my clients are women, so topics like fatigue, hormone imbalances, weight management are all very popular. From these talks I always get a client or two, as I do from the workshops. So for me, public speaking has been the right direction and something that I love doing. Maybe that won't be your forte, but the point is that there are many opportunities out there as long as you think outside the where-can-I-find-a-job box, and as long as you're comfortable with the extra amount of time (1 - 2 years) it takes to establish yourself in this more independent fashion.

If you're passionate about your studies and subject matter, there's work out there for you. People are always drawn to those who are passionate about what they do.

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »
Jodi,

I am so grateful for your words of encouragement! Thank you for that valuable info. Everyone associated with Bauman that I have interacted with has been so helpful and wonderful.

After talking to my admissions counselor I have decided to enroll in the NE/NC programs. I will start in September and will be living close enough to Berkeley to attend actual class I think, but if not, I will do distance education.

This has been a life long passion of mine and I agree that people are drawn to others who live their passions. I have been a life long learner and always love learning more about things I care about. Nutrition and natural/holistic health is my love, and I hope to bring wellness to others in the future. I can't wait to start learning! Thanks for the advice about the chemistry class also, I think that sounds really beneficial. I will look into it. Are there any books you recommend reading before I start school? I have recently purchased "Healing with Whole Foods" by Paul Pitchford which I LOVE. My accupunturist told me about it. I also noticed I have a few of the books listed on the schools recommended reading list already, but its nice to get others opinions.

Thanks again Jodi! :)

anything