Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Slow Cooked Tomatoes  (Read 1632 times)

Offline NicoleH

• Alumni
Slow Cooked Tomatoes
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:39:27 PM »
Ever since I started making these tomatoes a few weeks ago, my family can't seem to get enough of them!  I add them to salads, munch on them as appetizers and add them to tomato sauces to deepen their flavor.  The aroma they give while cooking is almost as good as their taste.

4 medium vine ripened tomatoes, cut in half & seeded
4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt
Pepper

1. Preheat oven to 300o F degrees.
2. Place tomatoes, cut side up on baking sheet.
3. Sprinkle chopped garlic over the tomatoes.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and then with balsamic vinegar.
5. Season with sea salt and pepper.
6. Bake for two hours at 300o F degrees.
7. Enjoy!  (They are great with fresh organic mozzarella and basil over baby greens, and also make an excellent base for a most tasty vinaigrette dressing!)

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Slow Cooked Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:15:11 PM »
Nicole, how interesting that you just posted this. The recipe sounds great. Last night I made the best pasta sauce I've ever made, from some of my own tomatoes, prepared according to a similar technique by John Ash. It was so simple:

You cut the tomatoes in half, no skinning or seeding. Oil a large baking pan (or use parchment) and place the tomatoes in one layer, cut side down. Place them in a 375 degree oven for 1 or 2 hours, depending on size. What you're doing is dehydrating the tomatoes and also letting the skin brown, so the skin looks well-cooked but not charred. Then you take the whole mess and blend it up in a blender or processor.

I then mixed this with some tomato paste, grass-fed beef, onions, garlic and Italian seasonings. Oh yes, some red wine and a little water to thin. Those tomatoes really made the sauce.

Offline EricaW

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »
One of our classmate brought in some of her own homegrown tomatoes the other day...thanks Lynne! I took home some of the Roma's seeded them and slow roasted them at 200 F for 3+ hours with just a little olive oil and italian seasoning. They come out almost like a sun dried texture but much sweeter. I used them in a simple spelt spaghetti with olive oil and garlic sauce. You can also store them in olive oil in the fridge for a while. Enjoy!

Offline MaureenM

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
I got inspired by these delicious recipes. I  put  in a pan sliced tomatoes, a sliced red onion and 6 cloves of garlic, a splashed some olive oil, and sprinkled a few Italian seasonings. I then Roasted them at 200 for a little over two hours. After cooling I blended them with fresh basil and a little more olive oil, it was so tasty!. I took the tomato mixture added a little broth and voila, yummy tomato soup. I think it would be good with some melted chevre as well.

Offline BoooD4455

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 05:39:24 AM »
This is delicious!
I like salads with tomatoes! simply and fresh
Like this - Tomato Cucumber Salad  https://greenann.com/recipe/tomato-cucumber-salad/