Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Become a paid nutrition writer  (Read 5926 times)

Offline CHeppard

Become a paid nutrition writer
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
I was recently approved to be a columnist for the Examiner, I am the Detroit Holistic Health Examiner.  This site is looking for writers for their online website to write about subjects within their field of expertise.  You can even suggest your own topic.

The advantages to this opportunity are MANY.  First of all, they position you as an expert within your community, so the added credibility is impressive to prospective clients.  Secondly, they allow you to promote and link your own business and website, which elevates your website in the search engines and your company exposure.  Thirdly, they will pay you!  (My first check from them was $182!)

They want us to refer people who we think we would be qualified.  If you apply, at the end of the application, they will ask who the "REFERRING EXAMINER" is.  Write "Cheryl Heppard".  Then send me a message, and when I confirm that you gave them my name, I will send you my FREE eleven page "Examiner's Writers Guide" to help you take advantage of every opportunity and maximize your opportunities for being an Examiner. 

This is a fantastic opportunity for holistic health practitioners to get more exposure!

Go to: www.Examiner.com and at the top of page, click on the blue "write for us" link.  Check out some of my articles when you're there, it will help you complete your application.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Become a paid nutrition writer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »
BC grads Mira Dessy
http://www.examiner.com/x-12704-Houston-Holistic-Health-Examiner
and
Cheryl Murphey
http://www.examiner.com/x-12878-Healthy-Travel-Examiner
....are also Examiner authors.  It is a great opportunity!  I encourage all of you to do this. A great way to publicize yourself, but most importantly, to share your knowledge with the world.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
Thanks for the plug Marlina!

I'd also like to add that being able to tell people I am a PAID Food and Nutrition Writer has helped me make a few connections in my area that I'm not sure I might have otherwise had access to.  And Cheryl's guide on getting started is very helpful.

Offline CHeppard

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »
Thanks Mira!  I agree with you, there is a lot of credibility to being a paid writer for a website like the Examiner.  The backlinks to our website is also smart SEO and can increase search engine rank.  The keyword potential is infintite as well.  The money is just gravy!  Many of us have received free books and products from companies hoping for a public review in the form of an Examiner article.  As a member as the press, there is also opportunities for press passes. 

The advantages are unlimited.

Offline ccdebe

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks Cheryl!  I got hired too!  I am the new Santa Rosa Budget Meals Examiner! I must say pick topics in the order you want them because you may get chosen for the one least expected!  You can check out my link at:
http://www.examiner.com/x-27988-Santa-Rosa-Budget-Meals-Examiner
And if you do want to check it out and apply, be sure to use one of our names in the referral
box!  For me,  it's Carolyn DeBernardi, but certainly any of our names work!  Thanks again

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
Carolyn,

Congrats on your new column.  I've added you to my Favorite Examiners list so I'll be able to click on your articles when they come out.

Be well,
Mira

Offline CHeppard

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:08:22 AM »
I've added both of you. It's great to support each other's articles because we get paid per views.  Happy writing!

Offline TheresaM

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
Thanks for this information. I'm very interested in pursuing it. Do you know if you can write for more than one topic, or are you only chosen for one topic?

Thanks!

Offline TheresaM

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »
I have another question. Cheryl and Mira, why did you choose to be the Holistic Health writer as opposed to the Nutrition writer? Just wondering which to choose. What are the pros/cons?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Theresa

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
Dear Theresa,

That's what was open when I applied.  To be quite honest I'm not writing too much at Examiner these days as they have changed their metric for paying out and it's rather frustrating to deal with it.  I'm using the column to plug local businesses that I think might be of interest to my clients and that's about it. 

Be well,
Mira

Offline TheresaM

• Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »
Thanks, Mira. Good to know.

Be well,
Theresa