Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Want your suggestions for kid's recipes  (Read 4876 times)

Offline CaitlinP

• Alumni
Want your suggestions for kid's recipes
« on: January 31, 2007, 11:02:01 AM »
Hi all,
I am compiling a paper on healthy kids recipes. I am running out of ideas from my own collection. Any suggestions are appreciated and you will of course be credited in my paper! THANK YOU!
Best, Caitlin

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Want your suggestions for kid's recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 02:03:21 PM »
Hi Caitlin,

The Nutrition Educator forum in the Student Community has a post entitled, "What's for Dinner" and the Student Resources forum in the Student Community has a posting of a healthy eating kids handout.  Hope that helps!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline HughB

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 04:20:41 PM »
I found this recipe at the ecology center demonstration table at Berkeley Farmer's Market (Tues) in January 2005.  I prepared it (x4) for a super bowl party for 20 adults and 5 or 6 kids. I never had so many complements. Adults ranted and raved. Halfway through the party the whole bowl disappeared.  I don't mean the contents--I mean the bowl with the remaining contents. No one could figure out where it could have disappeared to. A little later one of the adults, while checking on the kids, who were playing in their room, noticed when she entered the room, 6 mouths moving and a guilty shuffle to hide something under the bed. They were gorging themselves on this salsa--I think they licked the bowl clean.

I have made it a half-dozen times since, including Superbowl 06, and of course I made the kids their own bowl. Enjoy!

By the way, I think Trudy is a Bauman College graduate!?

Kiwi Salsa
By Trudy Schafer Paul (www.thehealinghearth.com)
4 kiwi, peeled and diced
1 cup Jicama, peeled and diced
1/4 cup red onions, diced
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced (I use red)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1-2 tbsp lime juice
1 small jalapeno, minced (optional--careful with children)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

In a large bowl toss chopped and diced ingredients together. Squeeze lime juice and olive oil over the top and toss toghether. Add salt to taste. Serve with tortilla chips or over fish or chicken.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
Yup, Trudy is a graduate of Bauman College.  She is also an instructor in the Natural Chef Training Program.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Rebecca E.

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 08:10:57 AM »
One of my favorite food websites is: http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com
It has tons of kid friendly recipes and is generally a great resource for whole foods/vegetarian eating.

Jennifer McCann started her blog by posting the amazing vegan lunches she packed for her son, complete with pictures and her son's verdict, every day! You can find those classics by browsing in the archives, and she continues to post these lunches less frequently (as her son is homeschooled now.) All the recipes are fabulous, healthy, and usually easy to make. In between lunches she offers book reviews, product recs, news, and other features.

Just a sample of recent recipes:
Vegan "sunnyside up" waffles (For April Fools Day)
For St Patrick's Day - Green PB sandwich, green salad, green grapes, and "potato beetles"
Latin themed - Pupusas (Salvadorian corn cakes), Mexican zucchini, radish slaw
"Whole meal" muffins - filled with fruits, veggies, nuts, etc

Offline CathyF

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 05:03:41 PM »
Hi Caitlin,
Kids love pudding, so you might try this easy recipe for chocolate pudding. It tastes great, and it contains no eggs and no added fat. Iíve only used the cocoa powder, but Iím guessing you could also use carob powder, which would be a healthier alternative to cocoa (especially when making it for kids, who can do without the caffeine-like stimulants and added sugar). Good luck with your research and paper!
Cathy ~

Chocolate Pudding
1.5 cups soy milk or rice milk
3 T cornstarch or arrowroot
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 t vanilla extract

Whisk together and cook all ingredients over medium heat, stirring constantly until pudding is thickened. Pour into individual serving dishes and chill for at least 1 hour. Serves 4.

(Recipe source: "Food for Life," by Neal Barnard, page 278)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 05:06:34 PM by CathyF »

anything