Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Baby Artichokes and Spiralized Beets with a TwIsT  (Read 1337 times)

Offline RebeccaMi

• Alumni
Baby Artichokes and Spiralized Beets with a TwIsT
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:35:55 PM »
Last night I decided to give the Baby Artichokes and Spiralized Beets with and Herbed Dressing recipe from our Greens and Vegetables class a twist.  For some reason, I didn't care for the original recipe. It called for all raw ingredients, spiralized raw beets, and then steamed artichokes.  I thought the flavors and textures didn't add up.  So I opted to roast the artichokes, bell peppers, and beets, and then toss them with avocado, arugula (instead of the red lettuce leaves) and the original dressing (but made with a little less oil-my preference).  I am so happy with the outcome.  I hope whoever decides to try it likes it, and let me know if you have any suggestions or changes.

Here is my rough recipe:

Ingredients
5 baby artichokes
2 red bell peppers, julienned
3 medium yellow beets, tops cut off
grape seed oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups arugula
2 avocados, chopped
1 recipe for Herbed Dressing from workbook

Directions
1.  Cut off stems and tops of artichokes and remove the tougher outer leaves until the brighter green leaves begin to show.  Cut each artichokes in half and scoop out the center. Cut in half again and place in a large bowl of lemon water to prevent oxidizing.  Repeat with each of the artichokes.
2.  In a large pot, boil about 4 - 5 cups of salted water.  Add the artichokes and boil until tender, about 8 minutes.  Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F
4.  Place each beet top side down on the foil.  Place in the oven and roast for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tender.
5. On a parchment lined baking sheet, toss the red bell peppers and artichokes with a little grapeseed oil and salt and pepper.  Roast for about 25 minutes.
6.  Once the vegetables are done roasting, toss with arugula, avocados, and Herbed Dressing and serve.

(Adding cheese would also be a good addition to this salad)
beck:)

anything