Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Chronic Mercury Poisoning Support Group in East Bay  (Read 22217 times)

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Chronic Mercury Poisoning Support Group in East Bay
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »
Do you have ongoing health issues?  Chronic mercury poisoning is an under-diagnosed condition, described in the toxicology literature but not yet recognized by most physicians.  Mercury blood tests reveal only recent exposure, not body burden (retained in organs like the brain).  Thus, chronic mercury poisoning must be assessed indirectly.    

Symptoms vary and may include chronic fatigue, chemical sensitivities, fibromyalgia, immune dysfunction (e.g., chronic Lyme and Candida), autoimmunity, allergies, food intolerances, gut dysbiosis, hormone imbalances, infertility, insomnia, tinnitus, erethism, psychiatric disorders, and neurodegenerative problems including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease and autism.  Having more than one of the above problems is an indicator that mercury is the root cause.  

Mercury affects each person differently because it blocks certain chemical groups within enzymes and transport proteins, which vary with the individual.  It also causes oxidative damage, similar to premature internal aging.  Since nutritional supplements may alleviate these problems temporarily, reliance on such may suggest mercury poisoning.

Mercury poisoning is largely curable.  Some methods are more effective and more economical than others.  

The Bay Area chronic mercury poisoning self-help support group meetings are shown on the group's web page:
http://mercuryandmore.weebly.com/support-group.html

Whatever your issues in coping with this misunderstood illness, we're here to support you.  

Kris (510) 525-1003
 kghmhe-supgrp@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:46:32 PM by Marlina E »
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline susanne

I'm working on a protocol now for myself w/ my ND. However, I have done a lot of research and study about Andy Cutler's protocol. He does the frequent dosing (every 4 hours) due to the half life of DMSA and ALA.
I hear so many conflicting opinions. I know chlorella is dangerous due to the way it simply redistributes w/o eliminating from the body.
Anyone have experience w/ Culter's protocol and have you been able to find an easier way to detox the metals?

Thanks!
Susan

Offline RamyaR

• Alumni
Re: Chronic Mercury Poisoning Support Group in East Bay
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
Hi Susanne,

Can you tell me where you read the part about Chlorella being dangerous? If you use a good binder it is supposed to get eliminated, correct?

Ramya

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:51:51 PM »
A message from Kris to Susan:

Hi Susan,

These issues are just what the support group is about.  I hope you'll join us.

I'm on the Cutler protocol and am thrilled with its safety and efficacy.  (The severity of my illness was well-suited to a strict protocol).  I'd like to hear about your experiences and that of others.

Kris

To Ramya from Nori:  Check out Cutler (Amalgam Illness: Diagnosis and Treatment. Single sulfhydryl molecules are incomplete chelators (chlorella and cilantro fall into this category.)
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline RamyaR

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:23:51 PM »
Thanks Nori. I haven't read Andy Cutler's book yet (this summer hopefully) but I know people who really like his protocol and some who don't and have had success with cilantro/chlorella. So it can get confusing when one's gathering information because there are so many opinions and differing experiences! But I have heard that his is a much gentler method compared to many others which is good.
Is it true that a high precoroporphyrin reading alone is sufficient to say for sure that mercury is high (it was not a challenge test, just a regular sample) and nothing showed up in the hair analysis?

Ramya

Offline susanne

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »
I'm quite confused about it all. I know Culter thinks his way is the only way and that is one reason why I question it. Chlorella, alone, according to Culter and few others, doesn't have enough (thiols)?, basically arms to eliminate metals, just redistribute.

What other ingredient do you use w/ chlorella then?

I just got a big 7 piece protocol from my ND in Sonoma. He doesn't agree w/ Culter (imagine that two men wanting to be right!) He adds in fiber, liver support, minerals, and uses DMSA 3 x during the day (no nighttime) and a few others he has had good success w/ clients. it's a 3 month process. he uses urine to test and doesn't agree that hair testing is that accurate...

I did the Doctor's Data hair test and I did NOT meet the "counting" rules. However, my mercury was elevated and that meant (according to Cutler) that I am eliminating it then and that's good. Nori, do you have any advice? or anyone else?

I have had several vaccinations, amalgams taken out improperly 12 yrs. ago), but did not meet the counting rules and have a low functioning immune system (like an underlying virus) easily fatigued, been tested for celiac, lyme etc. nothing. so we think heavy metals. I also did a full amino acid and such test to find out I have mild leaky gut (due from stress). I have been resting for a few months now w/ soothing supps, so hopefully that's gone.

I may just try the DMSA for a couple rounds and see if I react. Culter says that is how you can tell for sure. nori, where did you get yours from?
Thanks!

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »
Kris is responding here to Ramya:

(From Kris)  Elevated precoproporphyrin does indicate moderate to severe mercury poisoning, but there are the usual uncertainties about what is normal versus elevated, and there may be a genetic porphyria that could also cause this elevation.  One would expect a hair test to show the mineral transport disorder (excessively high and/or low hair minerals) if the mercury poisoning were severe enough to cause elevated precoproporphyrin.   
   The Cutler protocol appears to be the safest and most effective method to detox mercury, since it avoids redistribution by keeping blood levels of chelator constant.  Perhaps people with minimal toxicity can use cilantro/chlorella; I don't know -- I hope this comes up at the support group; please join us.     
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:51:52 PM »
Reply to Susanne from Kris:

Yes, it can be confusing and does require a lot of study.  Given the dangers of improper chelation, it's best to read about the methods that interest you and then decide which sounds more well-reasoned.  To me, this would be Cutler, but each person must find their own path.  Regarding fiber, liver support, and minerals, this (along with antioxidants and B-vitamins) is consistent with Cutler and most others.  Regarding DMSA 3x/day (which Cutler would call "improper chelation"), as I read the science this will remove some extracellular mercury (which can be measured in urine if desired) but will not remove intracellular and brain mercury (and may even increase it).  Given that your exposure was long ago, and as evidenced by your normal hair test, you probably have little extracellular mercury left, but given your symptoms you may have intracellular mercury.  My advice would be to work on nutritional support as you're doing, while researching chelation options as you seem to be doing, and at some point to try the trial chelation as Cutler suggests.   DMSA is available from Vitamin Research Products.  Please join us at the support group.

From Nori: I have not done this protocol myself. 
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS

Offline RamyaR

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
Thank you Kris and Nori. Mercury poisoning is a very interesting topic for me personally and I hope I can make it to at least some of the meetings in order to learn more.

Ramya

Offline AmberR

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 08:26:33 PM »
Try Bikram Yoga!!  Sweat out the toxins, eat a lot of cilantro and try Zeolites!!

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Chronic Mercury Poisoning Support Group in East Bay-updates
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
Please note future planned meetings:

Next meetings:  Aug 10, Sept 7, Oct 5, Nov 9, Dec 7, 2010.

More details: http://mercuryandmore.weebly.com/support-group.html

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »
NOTE CHANGE IN MEETING DATES IN SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER:

Next meetings:  Sept. 14, Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 7, 2010.
More details: http://mercuryandmore.weebly.com/support-group.html
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS

Offline helgaa826

• Alumni
  • Enjoying food - obviously!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 12:27:55 AM »
Hello, the following story might be of interest to you:
When my daughter was vaccinated at baby age, she responded with worrisome lethargy, quite limp and feverish. I took her to a homeopathic clinic in the East Bay, where she was prescribed Mercurius Vivus, a homeopathic preparation of mercury. At the time I was not aware of a mercury based preservative used in some children's' vaccinations, a fact that is  well published nowadays.
My baby responded quite well: within about one hour and the fever vanished and her appetite returned. Fortunately no further symptoms emerged.
This is based on homeopathic treatment principles ("like cures like"), whereas the highly diluted and succussed form of the offensive material is administered to the patient.
This might be a chance for others who are afflicted by this dangerous material as well.
Wishing best of success in healing!
Helga
happy clam

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
Thanks for this post.  Alas, the H1N1 flu vaccine is being promoted heavily now and it is preserved with thimerosal (49% mercury).  Thankfully California still has opt out options for those who disagree with the vaccine philosophy. 
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Chronic Mercury Poisoning Support Group in East Bay- Update!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 10:39:12 AM »
As of February 7, 2011, note meeting date/time changes per this link:

The Bay Area chronic mercury poisoning self-help support group meetings are shown on the group's web page:
http://mercuryandmore.weebly.com/support-group.html
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS

anything