Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: A Place for a Chef  (Read 5784 times)

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
A Place for a Chef
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »
I plan on attending your natural chef training program, and I would like to know which location is the best suited to provide training for this program. Or what is the difference between the training locations?

I'm considering the Berkeley location as a good starting point, because of the possible job and housing opportunities. What other considerations should be made when deciding on a location for the Chef training?

Aspiring Health nut! ;D
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: A Place for a Chef
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »
Hi Jay,

Thanks for emailing.  We offer the Natural Chef Training Program at all three of our classroom locations:  Berkeley, Penngrove, and Santa Cruz, CA.  Since the curriculum is the same at all locations, the decision of which location to attend will most likely be made on your preferences for a living environment and transportation needs.  Here is a summary of the areas around our classrooms:

Berkeley:  Hip, diverse, urban setting across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco.  Good public transit with buses and Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) serving a large area.  You may not need personal transportation while living here, other than a bicycle.  In the vicinity of UC Berkeley.  Tighter housing market, higher prices.  Numerous jobs, lots of competition.
Penngrove:  Penngrove is a tiny town located in the Wine Country, one hour north of SF.  Most students live in surrounding towns.  Rolling hills, vineyards, small towns, suburban rural.  Limited public transportation.  Optimally, you would have a car or motorcycle/moped while living near this location.  In the vicinity of Sonoma State University.  Most likely the least expensive housing costs of the three locations.  Job market decent with a range of towns in the immediate vicinity: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, Cotati, Rohnert Park. 
Santa Cruz:  Artsy, beach town setting, approximately 1.5 hours south of SF.  Surrounding coast mountains offer redwoods forests and lots of hiking.  Lots of beach activities: the school is located near a prime surfing point.  Limited public transportation, but good bicycle infrastructure.   You may not need personal transportation, other than a bicycle while living here.  In the vicinity of UC Santa Cruz.  Tighter housing market, higher prices.  Smaller community surrounded by mountains so the job market may be tight.  More jobs available with a commute to Silicon Valley.

I hope that this answers your questions.  Check out our newest forum,  Housing Hookup,  which has information about housing searches and is a place to hook-up with other students. 

We look forward to serving you as a student at our school.  Be sure to apply early for our courses, especially our Natural Chef Training Program.  Courses begin in March and September each year. 

Take Care!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

anything