Indian Roasted Eggplant with Tomatoes and Peas (Baigan Bharta)
Baigan Bharta is a creamy eggplant dish from the north of India. It is best served with rice, chapati, or naan bread.
- 3 medium eggplants, about 3 3/4 lbs total
- 2 Tbs coconut oil or ghee
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 lb plum tomatoes, canned or fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2. Heat oil or ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown. Add the ginger and sauté a minute more.
3. Add the tomatoes and the spices and sauté for 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Add the eggplant and cook for 5 more minutes, until it is the consistency of a chunky tomato sauce. Season with salt to taste. Eggplant generally needs a good amount of salt for the flavors of the other spices to come out. If mixture is too dry, add water 1/4 cup at a time until it is wet enough, or drizzle with a little more coconut oil or ghee.
4. Stir in peas and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.