This delicious condiment is the perfect addition to protein or vegetable dishes and a great way to boost the nutritional value of a meal. Lemons are naturally high in immune-supportive Vitamin C, and the limonin in the lemon rind is especially cancer-protective. Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory, as is ginger.
Author: Catherine McConkie, Chef Instructor
2 Meyer lemons – washed, seeded, and juiced, pulp and rind finely chopped
2 Medjool dates- finely chopped
1/2 Tbs fresh turmeric root- peeled and minced
1/2 Tbs fresh ginger root – peeled and minced
1/4 tsp whole cumin seed
1/4 tsp whole coriander seed
7 whole black peppercorns
1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Squeeze lemon juice into a medium sized bowl. Add the prepared lemon pulp and rind, chopped dates, turmeric, and ginger.
2. With a mortar and pestle, smash the cumin, coriander, peppercorns, and salt.
3. Combine the lemon mixture and seasonings.Mix and mash mixture together with hands to combine.
4. Place mixture in a clean jar and let sit at room temperature on counter for 1-2 days. After 2 days at room temperature, store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
5. Alternative Method: Lemon, turmeric, and dates may be combined in a food processor and pulsed until desired texture. Then add the seasonings and pulse to combine. Store the same as above.
Yields: about 1/2 – 3/4 cup [depending on size of lemons]
Serving Size: Entire recipe (0.3 ounces)