Mushrooms, in combination with aromatic herbs and vegetables, lend a rich, earthy flavor to this stock that can be used in vegetarian dishes as an alternative to meat stocks.
Author: Bauman College
Serves: 2 quarts
- 1½ Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 oz dried shiitake mushrooms, or other dried wild mushrooms
- ½ lb crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 small carrots, coarsely chopped
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 leaves sage
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp peppercorns
- 2½ qt water
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add onions, leek, garlic, and dried mushrooms. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cover with water. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
- Strain stock, pressing as much liquid as possible from vegetables.
- Cool and store in refrigerator or freezer.