This decadent dessert relies on palm sugar and orange juice for sweetener. Rich in vitamin C, beta carotene, and an array of minerals, it’s a healthful way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
Photo by Bakeat350 Blog
1 pie crust
2 sweet potatoes
½ cup palm sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs arrowroot
1 Tbs vanilla extract
3 eggs, plus 1 egg white for glaze
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup orange juice
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Prepare pie crust of your choice. In a 9 inch pie pan, blind bake the pie crust for 10 minutes at 350 F. (If you do not have a recipe for a pie crust, you can usually find a variety of pie crusts at your local market. )
2. Preheat oven to 400 F. Prick the sweet potatoes a few times with a fork and place on a sheet pan. Roast for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from skins and mash. Reduce heat in the oven to 350 F.
3. To make pie filling, combine remaining ingredients with 1 1/2 cups of mashed sweet potato in a food processor. Puree until smooth.
4. Brush the edges of the pie crust with egg white using a pastry brush. Pour filling into the pie crust and bake at 350 F for 50 minutes, or until the filling is set.
5. Whip cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Serve on top or alongside the pie.
6. Serve warm, or keep in the refrigerator and bring to room temp before slicing.