Last Saturday, Dr Ed Bauman and some of our graduates, Chef Tina Green, Nataliya Bryantsev, N.C., Annaka Karle, N.C., and Nancy Chiao, N.C. cooked up some delicious food at the San Francisco Greater Good Fair.
Here’s an easy salad that made the cut:
Quinoa Kale Tabouli Salad
2 cups quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
4 cups vegetable stock or water
1 bunch kale, chiffonade
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup olives, chopped
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked and chopped
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
2 scallions, sliced thinly
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup mint, chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (may use more to taste)
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place quinoa and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in a large sauce pan with water or stock.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and cook, covered for 30 minutes. Quinoa is cooked properly when liquid is fully absorbed and grain appears light and fluffy.
- Remove cooked quinoa to a parchment-lined sheet pan and spread out to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare Kale: chiffonade finely and then place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt and massage vigorously with hands until tender.
- Combine kale and quinoa and add the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together and drizzle over the quinoa mixture, combining thoroughly.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice and olive oil if necessary.
- Fold in crumbled feta and serve.