An unusual, delicious, and exotic spread that will delight the senses with its savory and sweet notes. Try it on flatbread, crackers, or whole-grain bread, or simply enjoy by the spoonful.
[b]Yam + Seed Spread[/b]
Serves: 2 cups
- 2 lbs yams
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bake the yams until very soft, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Separately grind sunflower, sesame, poppy, and flax seeds to a fine meal. NOTE: A coffee grinder designated as a nut and seed grinder works great for this process.
- When the yams are finished baking, remove them from the oven and allow to cool slightly for about 10 minutes. Peel and compost the skins and mash the yams in a medium bowl.
- Add the ground seeds, yogurt, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, and salt and stir well to combine.
Enjoy as a sandwich filling, dip, or spread. Store spread in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe from Flavors of Health Cookbook: Your Guide to Eating for Health™ by Dr. Ed Bauman and Chef Lizette Marx